Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Cabin Fever

"Cabin fever is an idiomatic term, first recorded in 1918, for a claustrophobic reaction that takes place when a person or group is isolated and/or shut in a small space, with nothing to do for an extended period. Cabin fever describes the extreme irritability and restlessness a person may feel in these situations"

Thanks Wikipedia...*eye roll*

It's that time of year folks. As if I needed the below checklist to determine if we are experiencing some cabin fever in our household.  Good for a chuckle, but cabin fever is real. We have gotten a cold snap here, which has kept us close to home. I haven't even popped my head outside for two days!
 *embarrassing*
I am SO thankful we have all been healthy regardless of the darn flu bug everyone and their brother has. Being sick with cabin fever? Not my cup of tea. My game plan to get us through this little spell has been: 
LOTS of projects to keep Sportsman-in-Training entertained (valentine card making, games, setting the tent up inside, dance parties), LESS time in front of the TV (that just makes it worse), an abundance of HEALTHY snacks, doing corny exercise videos with The Sportsman, and a steady stream of sewing projects for me.

So if your putting a check beside any of these, make a game plan for yourself and get moving. Spring is right around the corner, I promise!

• A lack of patience
• Always feeling tired
• Feeling unproductive and unmotivated
• Feeling sad or depressed
• Lethargy
• Difficulty concentrating
• Craving carbohydrates or sugar (um, double check!)
• Difficulty waking in the morning
• Sleep disturbance
• Social withdrawal
• Irritability

If any of you sewing nerds are interested... here are some sewing projects I had fun with this past month. It's my favorite way to combat cabin fever.


I made a couple of these zig-zag table runners for my mom and mother-in-law using this tutorial from Knitty Bitties. SO much fun, and easy enough to feel some accomplishment in very little time. 

I modified the pattern and made some place-mats to match.


Then I modified some more and made a couple of these in more of a chevron pattern for gifts and one for myself.




My little Etsy shop has been doing pretty well, so I always have some of these deer pillows in the process. Here are my two most recent ones. The red one, maybe a little creepy. It was a special order. But I love the neutral one. If your interested, go check out my shop.



And some ladies in my family are prego. So exciting! This spring I am getting a new cousin and a new niece or nephew. So I am dreaming up some fun baby quilts to make this fabric into.


Happy Creating!

1 comment:

  1. Love the deer pillows!!! You have the cutest blog! New follower here!!

    -Tiara
    http://icecreamandfrenchfries.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...