I'm a seamstress. To not sew something for our new arrival would just feel completely strange. I have lots of things left over from Sportsman-in-Training, but most everything was some shade of brown or blue. So I did a little makeover on a few of my nursery items and made a few new things to match.
It is super easy to sew for baby. If you have a basic knowledge of sewing, you can easily whip up blankets, burp clothes and other accessories in the colors you want while saving some mega-bucks. The material costs for ALL of the below items was under $60. I was impatient and didn't order from my usual online quilting source, but Joann's premium fabric section actually had some nice choices. I ended up purchasing all the supplies from Joann Fabrics.
The first thing that had to go was my ugly old boppy pillow cover. It had morphed into a ugly shade of olive drab green after the daily abuse I put it through with my first baby.
I used THIS tutorial and pattern to make this new boppy cover. I used cotton for the back with a zipper for cushion removal and a snuggle fabric for the front. Make sure as you print the pattern to measure the gray squares and keep them at an inch so your pattern is the correct scale. Mine took some adjusting to get it right. I love how it turned out!
Cute, absorbent burp clothes can be hard to find. So I whipped up six of these. I used THIS tutorial which gave me 10 x 18 in sized burp clothes.
And a couple of snuggle blankets. The first I just sewed right sides together of cotton and snuggle fabric, turned and did some light top stitching. The second I used the heather bailey method to bind the edges. Both took less then an hour. HERE is a tutorial if needed.
And out of the leftover scraps of snuggle fabric I decided the new baby car seat needed some soft little strap covers. The ugly brown ones that came with the seat are made out of a scratchy suede fabric. Not cool. I used THIS tutorial.
These are the ugly ones...
And these are the snuggle ones just reversed so you can see how the other side is cotton for summer.
And finally, I thought I would show you my updated mobile. This is what it looked like before.
And this is after.
I should have waited for a bright sunny day to take the mobile pics, oh well. You get the idea. I just took apart the old green shade and used it as a pattern for the new white one and fishing string to hang all the stars, beads and cloud.
Good thing my week of sewing is over, fatigue is kicking in faster these days. Hopefully that means delivery is sooner!